The Brahma Kshatriya Community (BKC) of Hyderabad is a community since 1700s and one that has managed to preserve its identity for centuries in the diverse religious and ethnic landscape of the Char-Kamaans of Old City and new Hyderabad and thrived as a progressive one to the present day. Primarily employed in the bureaucracy of the erstwhile Nizam, the monarch of Hyderabad State, in the professions of medicine, law, banking, and education in the pre- and post-independence India, the community has expanded its presence primarily in Hyderabad but also outside of it.
As a community before, during and after independence, it had and still has progressive ideals of supporting education, going beyond traditions to strictly enforce the abolishment of the marriage dowry and thriving in the geography that was not fully home to them. BKC was a community of diasporas of north India in the south back in the 1800s that migrated from areas of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, and Gujrat.
The Brahma Kshatriya Community was a group of families that came together in the late 1700s and set up a formal structure to associate with each other and live together. In the background to their lives is the notion of nation building, modernity and an overall progressive outlook that came to lay the foundations of what the community is today.
The banner holds three images from the community. The first is the image of a paraath or a plate (here it is made of brass) and has the inscription that reads “Shaadi Eknath Pershad nehera Nand Lal” meaning “at the wedding of Eknath Pershad who is the grandson of Nand Lal”. The second is a group picture at the wedding of Parmanand Das Waghray in 1945, with compliments from Savitri Bai. The third picture is of a necklace made of Basraa pearls and it is called the Tanmani or Tanmaniyaan laid on top of a Banaarsi sari.